Qualification Title: Level 3 Award in Fire Safety Risk Assessment & Control
Duration: Three days
Prerequisite: None, although basic fire safety awareness level 1, is recommended
Assessment: Draft fire risk assessment
The Level 3 Award in Fire Safety Risk Assessment & Control is designed for anyone with the responsibility to conduct fire risk assessments. It is particularly useful for company owners, managers, supervisors and premises technicians in low or normal-risk premises, but it will be equally beneficial to any other personnel contributing to the fire risk assessment process. There is a duty on every employer to make a suitable and sufficient assessment of the fire risks in the workplace to which relevant persons are exposed, for the purpose of identifying fire precautions. Employers need to ensure that individuals carrying out fire risk assessments are competent to do so. The training programme provides a thorough understanding of the formal fire risk assessment process for non-complex premises and includes information on fire hazards and the risks they pose, fire safety precautions and management activities (such as fire safety checks, premises maintenance and fire safety training) that are necessary to ensure that fire risk is controlled.
On successful completion of the qualification, the learner will:
- Understand the importance of fire safety in the workplace
- Understand the reasons for using a fire risk assessment and the principles involved
- Be able to apply practical examples to the principles of fire risk assessment
- Learn how fire risk controls are used in the workplace
- Be able to apply knowledge of fire risk and control in a practical setting.